The xdg-utils package is a set of simple scripts that provide basic
desktop integration functions for any Free Desktop, such as Linux.
They are intended to provide a set of defacto standards.
This means that:
* Third party software developers can rely on these xdg-utils
for all of their simple integration needs.
* Developers of desktop environments can make sure that their
environments are well supported
* Distribution vendors can provide custom versions of these utilities
The following scripts are provided at this time:
* xdg-desktop-icon Install icons to the desktop
* xdg-desktop-menu Install desktop menu items
* xdg-email Send mail using the user's preferred e-mail composer
* xdg-icon-resource Install icon resources
* xdg-mime Query information about file type handling and
install descriptions for new file types
* xdg-open Open a file or URL in the user's preferred application
* xdg-screensaver Control the screensaver
* xdg-settings Get various settings from the desktop environment
xdg-desktop-icon The xdg-desktop-icon program can be used to install an application launcher or other file on the desktop of the current user. An application launcher is... xdg-desktop-menu The xdg-desktop-menu program can be used to install new menu entries to the desktop's application menu. The application menu works according to the XDG Desktop... xdg-email xdg-email opens the user's preferred e-mail composer in order to send a mail to address(es) or mailto-uri. RFC2368 defines mailto: URIs. xdg-email limits... xdg-icon-resource The xdg-icon-resource program can be used to install icon resources into the desktop icon system in order to illustrate menu entries, to depict desktop icons or... xdg-mime The xdg-mime program can be used to query information about file types and to add descriptions for new file types. xdg-open xdg-open opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application. If a URL is provided the URL will be opened in the user's preferred web browser. If a file is... xdg-screensaver xdg-screensaver provides commands to control the screensaver. xdg-screensaver is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use... xdg-settings xdg-settings gets various settings from the desktop environment. For instance, desktop environments often provide proxy configuration and default web browser...