The purpose of beets is to get your music collection right once and for all. It
catalogs your collection, automatically improving its meta-data as it goes using
the MusicBrainz database. Then it provides a bouquet of tools for manipulating
and accessing your music.
Because beets is designed as a library, it can do almost anything you can
imagine for your music collection. Via plugins, beets becomes a panacea:
- Fetch or calculate all the meta-data you could possibly need: album art,
lyrics, genres, tempos, ReplayGain levels, or acoustic fingerprints.
- Get meta-data from MusicBrainz, Discogs, or Beatport. Or guess meta-data using
songs' file names or their acoustic fingerprints.
- Transcode audio to any format you like.
- Check your library for duplicate tracks and albums or for albums that are
- Browse your music library graphically through a Web browser and play it in
any browser that supports HTML5 Audio.