watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl [-n] [-r] [-s] [-t] [-archive] machine-1 machine-2 ... machine-N
watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl is a Tk script that graphically displays the status of mimedefang-multiplexor(8) on a cluster of machines. Note that Tcl/Tk 8.4 or higher is required to run watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl.
If you supply the -archive command-line option, then watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl logs the output of md-mx-ctrl rawload for each machine. The output for machine_name is logged in:
If you supply any of -n, -r, -s or -t options, then watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl uses the rawload1 command rather than rawload command to read performance data. Do not use these options unless all monitored machines are running MIMEDefang 2.74 or newer!.
The -n, -r, -s, and -t options enable monitoring of scan times, filter_relay times, filter_sender times and filter_recipient times, respectively.
To use watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl to monitor a cluster of machines, you need the following prerequisites:
- A UNIX-like machine with Tcl/Tk 8.4, the X window system and an SSH client. You also need "xterm" to use some of the features.
- The ability to SSH as root to all of the machines you want to monitor. Ideally, you should be using the SSH agent so that you can SSH to the monitored machines as root without being prompted for a password or pass phrase.
- The program md-mx-ctrl on root's path on all the machines you want to monitor.
For each machine specified on the command line, watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl creates a chart with five columns. The columns are:
- A button with the name of the machine. Clicking the button pops up a menu that lets you take various actions, as described later. If all workers on the machine are busy, the button turns yellow.
- A label showing the number of busy workers in the form "busy/total", where total is the total number of workers.
- A label showing the average number of messages per second over the last 10 seconds.
- A label showing the average number of milliseconds per scan over the last 10 seconds.
- A chart that graphs the average number of busy workers, the average number of messages per second and the average scan time in milliseconds, all averaged over the last 10 seconds.
If you click on a machine name, a menu with three options pops up:
Open an xterm session and ssh as root to the machine.
- Busy Workers
Monitor the busy workers on the machine. If you click on the process-ID of a worker, an xterm will open up and the command "strace -s 100 -t -p pid" will be executed on the remote machine. This is Linux-specific, but you can edit watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl to replace the command with your particular system's command for tracing system calls.
Remove the machine from the list of machines being monitored.
Adding a Machine
If you need to add a machine to the display, simply type the name of the machine in the "Add Machine:" box and press Enter.
watch-multiple-mimdefangs.tcl was written by Dianne Skoll.
mimedefang.pl(8), mimedefang-filter(5), mimedefang(8), mimedefang-protocol(7), md-mx-ctrl(8), watch-mimedefang(8)