captcp man page
Since several years I used to use a own repository of scripts to analyze network traffic. First I started with plain tcpdump, tcptrace, tcpslice, tcpstat and the other tools. After some years I started to wrote an own set of scripts, starting with Perl and later also some Ruby scripts. Before I forget, of course, a few C programs are also in the collection. Captcp is the attempt to rewrite the scripts in Python.
This documentation is also avaiable in PDF form: link:captcp.pdf[PDF file]
Some Words About Packet Analysis
During the years some wisdoms are here collected. You can ignore them, sure, but eventually there are some tricks for you.
- Don´t capture data life - capture the data via tcpdump and analyze the data off-line
- If you know what you want to analyze you can adjust tcpdump to capture the required data
- Make backups of your traces
- Don´t use one tool, find the most useful tool for your requirements
- Last but not least: question the results!
The script functionality is splitted into submodules. Similar to git, perf and kvm-tool. The following list provides an overview over the currently supported list. If in doubt you can call captcp without any argument to get the full list.
[verse] ´captcp´ [--help] MODULENAME [ARGS]