#include <libpmem2.h> struct pmem2_vm_reservation; int pmem2_vm_reservation_extend(struct pmem2_vm_reservation *rsv, size_t size); int pmem2_vm_reservation_shrink(struct pmem2_vm_reservation *rsv, size_t offset, size_t size);
The pmem2_vm_reservation_extend() function extends an existing virtual memory reservation by the given size. For the function to succeed the size has to be aligned to an appropriate allocation granularity.
If the pmem2_vm_reservation_extend() succeeds in extending a reservation, it provides placeholder virtual memory range that starts from an address at the end of the old reservation. Mappings made to the reservation before extending are preserved.
The pmem2_vm_reservation_shrink() function shrinks the reservation by a region specified by offset into the reservation and the size. For the function to succeed the size and offset variables have to be aligned to an appropriate allocation granularity. The region formed by offset and size has to belong to the reservation, be empty and it needs to cover the beginning or the end of the reservation. Shrinking reservation from the middle or shrinking the whole reservation is not supported.
If the pmem2_vm_reservation_shrink() succeeds in shrinking a reservation, it releases placeholder virtual memory range that was designated by offset and size variables. Mappings made to the reservation before shrinking are preserved.
If either of those functions fails, reservation will be left as it was and appropriate error value will be returned.
The pmem2_vm_reservation_extend() and pmem2_vm_reservation_shrink() functions return 0 on success or a negative error code on failure.
The pmem2_vm_reservation_extend() function can fail with the following errors:
- PMEM2_E_MAPPING_EXISTS - the range that the reservation would be extended by is already occupied by an existing mapping.
It can also return -EAGAIN, -ENOMEM from the underlying mmap(2) function.
The pmem2_vm_reservation_shrink() function can fail with the following errors:
- PMEM2_E_OFFSET_UNALIGNED - provided offset isn't aligned to an appropriate allocation granularity.
- PMEM2_E_LENGTH_UNALIGNED - provided size isn't aligned to an appropriate allocation granularity.
- PMEM2_E_OFFSET_OUT_OF_RANGE - provided offset is out of reservation range available to be shrunk.
- PMEM2_E_LENGTH_OUT_OF_RANGE - provided size is out of reservation range available to be shrunk.
- PMEM2_E_NOSUPP - interval designated by offset and size variables covers only the middle or the whole reservation range.
- PMEM2_VM_RESERVATION_NOT_EMPTY - interval designated by offset and size variable is not empty.
It can also return -EAGAIN and -ENOMEM from the underlying munmap(2) function.
pmem2_vm_reservation_new(3), pmem2_config_set_vm_reservation(3), libpmem2(7) and <https://pmem.io>
The man page pmem2_vm_reservation_shrink(3) is an alias of pmem2_vm_reservation_extend(3).