systemd-inhibit man page
systemd-inhibit — Execute a program with an inhibition lock taken
systemd-inhibit [Options...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...]
systemd-inhibit [Options...] --list
systemd-inhibit may be used to execute a program with a shutdown, sleep or idle inhibitor lock taken. The lock will be acquired before the specified command line is executed and released afterwards.
Inhibitor locks may be used to block or delay system sleep and shutdown requests from the user, as well as automatic idle handling of the OS. This is useful to avoid system suspends while an optical disc is being recorded, or similar operations that should not be interrupted.
For more information see the Inhibitor Lock Developer Documentation.
The following options are understood:
- Takes a colon-separated list of one or more operations to inhibit:
handle-lid-switch, for inhibiting reboot/power-off/halt/kexec, suspending/hibernating, the automatic idle detection, or the low-level handling of the power/sleep key and the lid switch, respectively. If omitted, defaults to
- Takes a short, human-readable descriptive string for the program taking the lock. If not passed, defaults to the command line string.
- Takes a short, human-readable descriptive string for the reason for taking the lock. Defaults to "Unknown reason".
- Takes either
delayand describes how the lock is applied. If
blockis used (the default), the lock prohibits any of the requested operations without time limit, and only privileged users may override it. If
delayis used, the lock can only delay the requested operations for a limited time. If the time elapses, the lock is ignored and the operation executed. The time limit may be specified in logind.conf(5). Note that
delayis only available for
- Lists all active inhibition locks instead of acquiring one.
- -h, --help
- Print a short help text and exit.
- Print a short version string and exit.
Returns the exit status of the executed program.
# systemd-inhibit wodim foobar.iso
This burns the ISO image
foobar.iso on a CD using wodim(1), and inhibits system sleeping, shutdown and idle while doing so.
gnome-session-inhibit(1), mate-session-inhibit(1), systemd.directives(7), systemd.index(7).
Explore man page connections for systemd-inhibit(1).