pdns_control man page
pdns_control — Control the PowerDNS nameserver
pdns_control [OPTION]... COMMAND
pdns_control is used to send commands to a running PowerDNS nameserver.
- bind-add-zone DOMAIN FILENAME
- When using the bindbackend, add a zone. This zone is added in-memory and served immediately. Note that this does not add the zone to the bind-config file. FILENAME must be an absolute path.
- bind-domain-status [DOMAIN...]
- When using the bindbackend, list status of all domains. Optionally, append DOMAINs to get the status of specific zones.
- When using the bindbackend, get a list of all rejected domains.
- bind-reload-now DOMAIN [DOMAIN...]
- When using the bindbackend, immediately reload DOMAIN from disk.
- Show the content of the cache.
- Show the currently running configuration. The output has the same format as
pdns_server --config. You'll notice that all the are uncommented. This is because PowerDNS simply has values, and the default isn't known at runtime.
- Restart the nameserver so it reloads its configuration. Only works when the server is running in guardian mode.
- Dump all variables and their values in a comma separated list, equivalent to show *.
- list-zones [master,slave,native]
- Show a list of zones, optionally filter on the type of zones to show.
- notify DOMAIN
- Adds DOMAIN to the notification list, causing PowerDNS to send out notifications to the nameservers of a domain. Can be used if a slave missed previous notifications or is generally hard of hearing.
- notify-host DOMAIN ADDRESS
- Same as above but with operator specified IP ADDRESS as destination, to be used if you know better than PowerDNS.
- ping, rping
- Check if the server is still alive. Will return 'PONG' when it is. ping works when running inside a guardian, whereas rping works when running without a guardian.
- purge [RECORD]
- Purge entries from the cache. If RECORD ends with a dollar ($) all entries that end with that name are removed. If no record is specified the entire cache is purged.
- Get a count of queries per qtype on standard out.
- Tell a running pdns_server to quit.
- Instructs backends that new domains may have appeared in the database, or, in the case of the Bind backend, in named.conf.
- Instruct the server to reload all its zones, this will not add new zones.
- Get the top number of remote addresses (clients).
- Get a histogram of the response sizes.
- retrieve DOMAIN
- Retrieve slave DOMAIN from its master. Done nearly immediately.
- set VARIABLE VALUE
- Set the configuration parameter VARIABLE to VALUE. Currently only the query-logging can be set.
- show VARIABLE
- Show a single statistic, as present in the output of the list command.
- Show usage statistics. This only works if the server is running in guardian mode.
- token-login MODULE SLOT PIN
- Log on to a PKCS#11 slot. You only need to login once per slot, even if you have multiple keys on single slot. Only available if PowerDNS was compiled with PKCS#11 support.
- Show the uptime of the running server.
- Print the version of the running pdns daemon.