nbdkit split [file=]file1 [[file=]file2 [file=]file3 ...]
nbdkit-split-plugin is a file plugin for nbdkit(1). One or more filenames may be given using the
FILENAME parameter. These files are logically concatenated into a single disk image.
If you want to add a virtual partition table, see nbdkit-partitioning-plugin(1).
Differences from nbdkit-file-plugin
Normally to serve a single file you should use nbdkit-file-plugin(1). This plugin differs from nbdkit-file-plugin as follows:
- nbdkit-file-plugin is faster and more efficient. It has a fully parallel implementation, and does not have to deal with the complexity of locating the correct file to serve or splitting requests across files.
- nbdkit-file-plugin allows you to resize the underlying file dynamically. The underlying files must not be resized when using the split plugin.
- nbdkit-file-plugin can handle block devices, but the split plugin can only handle plain files.
- nbdkit-file-plugin handles writes of blocks of zeroes efficiently, but the split plugin cannot.
- nbdkit-file-plugin can "punch holes" in the backing file in response to a trim request from the client, but the split plugin does not support this.
One or more files to open. They are logically concatenated in the order they appear on the command line.
This parameter must appear at least once.
file=is a magic config key and may be omitted in most cases. See "Magic parameters" in nbdkit(1).
nbdkit --dump-configto find the location of
nbdkit-split-plugin first appeared in nbdkit 1.2.
nbdkit(1), nbdkit-plugin(3), nbdkit-file-plugin(1), nbdkit-partitioning-plugin(1).
Richard W.M. Jones
Copyright (C) 2017 Red Hat Inc.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of Red Hat nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY RED HAT AND CONTRIBUTORS ''AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL RED HAT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
nbdkit(1), nbdkit-file-plugin(1), nbdkit-partitioning-plugin(1), nbdkit-plugin(3), nbdkit-release-notes-1.18(1).