guestfs-release-notes-1.8 - Man Page
libguestfs Release Notes
Release Notes for Libguestfs 1.8
These release notes only cover the differences from the previous stable/dev branch split (1.6.0). For detailed changelogs, please see the git repository, or the ChangeLog file distributed in the tarball.
- Support and packages for Debian and Ubuntu. - Daily builds from git repository on Debian and Ubuntu to reduce risk of regressions. - Port to ArchLinux 'pacman' (thanks Thomas S Hatch). - The following tools have been rewritten in C (originally in Perl): . virt-cat . virt-df . virt-inspector . virt-ls . virt-rescue - Some C tools support encrypted guests automatically. This is supported in: guestfish, guestmount, virt-cat, virt-inspector, virt-ls. - New tool virt-filesystems (in C) which is a replacement for virt-list-filesystems and virt-list-partitions, and has a superset of the functionality of those tools. - guestfish, guestmount and the C tools use unified command line option parsing, so they support many common options such as '-a disk.img', '-d libvirt-domain', '-x', '-v'. The old command line option parsing is preserved for compatibility in scripts etc. - guestfish no longer has any dependencies on Perl - New man pages containing programming examples: guestfs-examples(3) (C/C++), guestfs-ocaml(3), guestfs-python(3), guestfs-ruby(3). - Trace mode prints return values from API functions. - virt-inspector can list applications installed in Windows guests, along with a great deal of information about those applications. - Add support for inspecting: Linux Mint, Mandriva, FreeBSD. - guestfish --rw option (with no effect currently) to make potentially dangerous write access explicit. - guestfish --listen --csh for compatibility with csh, tcsh (thanks Eric Blake). - The first upstream version that introduced each API function is now documented in guestfs(3). - guestfs_last_errno allows you to retrieve the errno from the daemon, correctly translated to the local operating system. - Functions can now have optional parameters. - Progress bars and progress notifications can now happen for upload commands. - Appliance builder more careful about not leaving temporary files around in /tmp. - getfattr/setfattr commands added to virt-rescue. - ROADMAP file covers roadmap and goals for future releases.
- New SECURITY section in guestfs(3) API documentation. - virt-inspector no longer runs any guest commands. - Inspection code is more careful about avoiding very large files from guests which might previously have caused a denial of service. - FUSE calls into guestmount are now traced when using guestmount -x.
- add-domain - add-drive-opts - getxattr - inspect-get-hostname - inspect-get-package-format - inspect-get-package-management - inspect-get-roots - inspect-list-applications - lgetxattr - mkfs-opts
- C programs now only link precisely with the libraries that they use. - PCRE, libmagic, hivex and libvirt libraries are now completely optional for building. - Multiple memory leaks and file descriptor leaks fixed. - Add a POD wrapper to unify generation of man pages and HTML files across all programs. - Source includes phony images of Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and Windows guests. - Ruby bindings have 'make install' rule. - <guestfs.h> is now a single file. - <guestfs.h> does not require XDR headers. - ocaml xml-light library is no longer required to build (thanks Maxim Koltsov). - ./configure --disable-[...] for each language binding (thanks Maxim Koltsov). - Old ocaml-viewer program removed (use guestfs-browser instead). - New C API test type 'InitScratchFS' makes the tests run a little more quickly. - Excluded packages in the appliance are now listed in a separate file appliance/excludelist.in, and can be customized per-distro.
- 663407 readlink and readlinklist returns /sysroot/ in some paths - 661280 virt-rescue: panic when shutting down: "/sbin/reboot: No such file or directory" - 657499 checksum: wrong check sum type causes umount to fail - 655554 Whole disk paths are not made canonical by virt-inspector - 654638 openssl updated to 1.0.0b libguestfs depends on exact file names - 652796 ruby bindings not installed by 'make install', hence omitted from the binary distribution
guestfs-examples(1), guestfs-faq(1), guestfs-performance(1), guestfs-recipes(1), guestfs-testing(1), guestfs(3), guestfish(1), http://libguestfs.org/
Richard W.M. Jones
Copyright (C) 2009-2023 Red Hat Inc.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
When reporting a bug, please supply:
- The version of libguestfs.
- Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc)
- Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it.
- Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report.