bash8 man page
bash8 — bash8
A pep8 equivalent for bash scripts
This program attempts to be an automated style checker for bash scripts to fill the same part of code review that pep8 does in most OpenStack projects. It started from humble beginnings in the DevStack project, and will continue to evolve over time.
Currently Supported Checks
Basic white space errors, for consistent indenting
- E001: check that lines do not end with trailing whitespace
- E002: ensure that indents are only spaces, and not hard tabs
- E003: ensure all indents are a multiple of 4 spaces
- E004: file did not end with a newline
A set of rules that help keep things consistent in control blocks. These are ignored on long lines that have a continuation, because unrolling that is kind of "interesting"
- E010: do not on the same line as for
- E011: then not on the same line as if
- E012: heredoc didn't end before EOF
At the command line:
$ pip install bash8
Or, if you have virtualenvwrapper installed:
$ mkvirtualenv bash8 $ pip install bash8
To use bash8 in a project:
If you would like to contribute to the development of OpenStack, you must follow the steps in the "If you're a developer, start here" section of this page:
Once those steps have been completed, changes to OpenStack should be submitted for review via the Gerrit tool, following the workflow documented at:
Pull requests submitted through GitHub will be ignored.
Bugs should be filed on Launchpad, not GitHub:
2013, OpenStack Foundation